well, I love London... it's make me to share about this city!!
London is made up of two ancient cities which are now joined together.
- the City of London, know simply as 'the City' which is the business and financial heart of the United Kingdom. It is also known as the Square Mile (2.59 sq km/1 sq mi). It was the original Roman settlement (ancient Londinium), making it the oldest part of London and already 1,000 years old when the Tower of London was built.
- the City of Westminster, where Parliament and most of the government offices are located. Also Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the Queen and the Royal family are located there too.
Together they all make up a region known as Greater London.
- London is the biggest city in Britain and in Europe.
- London occupies over 620 square miles
- London has a population of 7,172,036 (2001)
- About 12 per cent of Britain’s overall population live in London
- London has the highest population density in Britain, with 4,699 people per square kilometre,
- London is in the southeast of England.
- London is the seat of central government in Britain.
- The tallest building in London is the Canary Wharf Tower.
- London was the first city in the world to have an underground railway, known as the 'Tube'.
- Some of the most important people from countries all over the world visit the Queen at Buckingham Palace.
- There are over 100 theatres in London, including 50 in the West End. London theatre accounts for 45% of all UK theatre admissions and over 70% of box-office revenues. Source: GLA Economics